In this day and age, drivers are more distracted than ever. Eating, drinking and fiddling with the radio have been common driving distractions for years. Nowadays, texting, manipulating complicated global positioning systems and other electronics make drivers even MORE distracted while behind the wheel.
Join your trusted Lancaster PA car insurance agency in reviewing the basics of safe driving practices to keep you and your family safe while on the road.
• 100% Attention – Keep ALL of your attention on the task of driving. For your own safety (and others), there is no multi-tasking allowed when behind the wheel!
• Well-Rested – This one is a no brainer: do not drive when you are overly tired or distracted.
• Put your phone away! If you’ll be too tempted, store your phone in the backseat, so you’re not able to reach for it as you receive text and email notifications or want to add something to your to-do list.
• S-L-O-W down – Speeding is not only against the law and could land you with a hefty fine, but is also extremely dangerous. With less reaction time and increased risk of accidents, speeding is just not worth it.
• Awareness – Not only do you need to be aware of your own vehicle, but also the drivers around you. Expect the unexpected and give yourself enough space between other vehicles for quick stops or adjustments.
• Safe Distance – Follow the two-second rule where you stay at least two seconds behind any vehicle directly in front of you (make it at least 4 seconds if the weather is bad).
• Be on Alert! Assume the other motorists around you will do something crazy and always be ready to avoid it or move out of their way.
SAFE DRIVING PLAN
• Schedule – Allot enough time to safely reach your destination, even with pit stops for food, rest breaks, phone calls, etc. Don’t set yourself up for unsafe driving habits (i.e., speeding, eating on the go, etc.) because you are in a rush.
• Adjustments – Before you put your car in gear, make any seat, mirror or climate control adjustments first. Have a special CD you want to listen to or a DVD for your child to watch in the backseat to during your road trip? Plan ahead and get everything queued up BEFORE hitting the road.
• Sober Driving – Plain and simple, drive sober and drug-free. Federal laws are made about this for a reason – do not put yourself or anyone in danger by getting behind the wheel while intoxicated. Plan ahead for a designated driver or call for an Uber.
• Vehicle Safety – Be sure to keep track of your car’s maintenance and follow through with any needed repairs/replacements. Secure cargo that may move around with your car is in motion. Oh, and always wear your seatbelt!
• Set Boundaries – You have a whiney toddler in the backseat demanding a snack or for you to pick up the stuffed animal they’ve dropped. We’ve all been there. Instead of handing out snacks and picking up things that have fallen, keep your eyes on the road and reiterate to your young passengers that your #1 job while driving is to keep everyone safe.
Real Service = Real Savings
Practice safe driving habits and establish set guidelines to help you stay focused and alert when you’re in the driver’s seat. Here at Ross Insurance Agency, we are committed to getting our Lancaster PA clients the best automobile insurance coverage at the best price. With over 50 years of experience in the insurance world, we take a personal approach at getting our clients the best coverage possible. Unlike the big-name car insurance companies that rattle off “great rates” after just a few computerized questions, we conduct personalized and convenient in-person or over-the-phone evaluations.
With an average savings of $500 or more, what are you waiting for?
Contact us today at (717) 397-4729 to see how we can best serve you. Whether you’re in the market for personal, business or a variety of other types of insurance (including pet insurance!), we have got you covered.