Common Non-Covered Homeowner Claims & How to Cover Them

Here at Ross Insurance Agency, we have a team of trusted advisors that are able to provide you with the homeowner’s insurance coverage you need at an affordable price. Our Lancaster, PA agents are equipped to help you shop around for a coverage plan that fits your budget. We will work with you as if you are our family and not overwhelm you with fancy and confusing insurance jargon! If you are in the market for home insurance, you have come to the right place. Before you do so though, you will need to make sure you are able to buy your home with the right finances, however, if you are coming up short, you may want to look at fast bridging loans over at sites like ukbridgingloans.uk to see how they can help during this time, freeing you up to focus on your new home insurance needs.

Deciding on which homeowner’s insurance plan is the best for you can be confusing. You may find yourself wondering, “what is covered, and what is not?”


At Ross Insurance Agency, we can educate you on a number of plans and coverage options to help you make the best decision based on your family’s needs. As you begin the process of shopping for home insurance, it is important to remember what is typically covered and what is not typically covered, so that you are not left paying for costly damage.

Most homeowner’s insurance policies cover personal property and structural damage that are caused by natural disasters, fires, and other situations that are out of your control. The type of policy you purchase and the location, age and condition of your home help to determine what your insurance coverage will allow and restrict in terms of claims. Since every home insurance policy is unique, it is important to pay close attention to what is and isn’t covered before you purchase a plan. Of course, none of us think that these things will happen to us, but they could happen to anyone. So many natural accidents could happen and completely destroy our homes, leaving us with nothing. This is why it’s so important to make sure your insurance covers you for these accidents. If they don’t cover you and a natural disaster ruins your home, you will have to pay these bills and repairs from your own money. However, some people do start fundraisers when this happens to them, so it’s always worth keeping that in mind. People throughout the community would be willing to help you cover the costs, so make sure to visit https://www.gofundme.com/c/blog/emergency-fund if you’re not covered by your insurance and you experience one of these disastrous situations. To prevent this from happening to you, it might be worth checking your current insurance plan.

Based on current research and history of homeowner’s Insurance Claims, here are some of the most common coverage restrictions and how to protect yourself from them:

  • Flood Damage – Although most water damage “from the top down” is covered under homeowners’ insurance, flood damage is defined differently and is not covered. If the water damage is caused from inside the house (i.e. a water line breaks in your dishwasher, leaving water damage to your kitchen floor), it should be covered. However, if the water damage is caused from “bottom up” (i.e. a flood or water seeping through foundation walls), it will typically not be covered. Depending on where you live, flood insurance may be required if you have a mortgage. Even if you don’t live in a high-risk flood zone, it may be a good idea to purchase flood coverage in addition to your homeowner’s insurance.
  • High-Risk Items – Pools, diving boards and trampolines are viewed as “extreme risks” in the insurance world deserve a heightened level of attention. Some insurance providers even require pool safety features, such as safety gates and pool alarms to help prevent accidents and reduce liability. If you have such “high risk” items in or around your home, you may want to consider adding an Umbrella Liability Policy to cover the increased exposure.
  • Expensive Items – Whether you have a valuable collection of items or lots of expensive jewelry stored in your home, only a small portion of it will be covered under basic home insurance policies. For instance, the coverage for lost or stolen jewelry under most plans is only around $2,500 – $5,000. If this category fits you or someone living in your home, you may want to consider purchasing extra insurance to cover your valuables.
  • Home Maintenance – Homeowner’s insurance is meant to cover sudden accidents and freak events out of your control. That being said, it does not cover damage that you can address with normal home maintenance. For example, roof damage caused by hail will likely be covered, while normal wear & tear (including an aging roof that needs replaced) will not be covered. Keeping up with routine home maintenance is the best way to prevent future damage. Using a roofing company like Division Kangaroof can be a good way to maintain the strength of your roof. You may want to visit their website if their services would be useful to your home. One area they excel in is gutters, which can result in damage to your roof if not fixed or repaired properly.

Now that you have read over some of the most common homeowners insurance coverage restrictions and how to mitigate them, give Ross Insurance Agency a call. We can help you decide on the best coverage options for you and your family. If you already have a home insurance plan and find yourself in one of the above situations where you are not sure if something is covered or not, contact your insurance agent first before filing a claim. We are here for you and proudly continue to serve the Lancaster, PA region.